Written by Meaghan MacLean
With the New Year upon us, you’ll likely be seeing ads for companies pushing “detoxing” juice cleanses and pills promising they’ll “reset” your body and help you lose weight.
But are these cleanses legit?
Detoxification is the process of clearing toxins from the body. The most important thing to understand about detoxification is that it’s an extremely nutrient-heavy process – meaning it requires food, and ENOUGH of it, in order for these processes to work correctly.
Your ability to detox properly, and thus fuel fat loss, comes from balancing your blood sugar by eating nutrient dense whole foods. This includes getting enough bioavailable protein, healthy fats, Vitamins B and C, copper, magnesium and other minerals.
So cutting out every food under the sun until you’re barely eating and just chugging green juices that are extremely carb heavy all day is NOT providing your body with enough fuel and the correct nutrients needed to detox and lose fat.
In fact, they’re only further stressing your body, which will make sustainable fat loss very difficult, if not impossible to achieve.
My advice? Don’t waste your money on these kinds of cleanses.
Instead, focus on nourishing your body so you can truly detox, restore your metabolism, build muscle and get your vitality back!
Here are the best ways to actually detox and fuel fat loss:
- Understand your body’s macronutrient needs. Knowing how much protein, fat and carb your body needs each day to fuel your daily activities is crucial.
- Eat balanced meals throughout the day, ideally every 3-6 hours, to keep blood sugar balanced.
- Sleep enough. Most people need at least 6-8 hours each night.
- Hydrate and limit caffeine. Aim for a minimum of 60oz of water every day.
- Limit processed and fried foods.
If you want to learn more about nutrition that’s right for you, set up a free consultation with Meaghan here: https://calendly.com/meaghanmaclean/free-15min-nutritional-therapy-consult